Thursday, October 2, 2008

My Genisis

Hip -Hop, damn there is so much to say, and at the same time its so hard. So let me start at the beginning. Nah not the South Bx 1978; East Williamsburg Brooklyn 1994. The tender age of five, when I first met that fly girl that Common called H.E.R.. Did I hear her on the radio? In the streets? At home? Nah I saw her posted up on the walls. The 90's and the early 2000's my hood was a post industrial wasteland. We didn't have any good stores, or safe parks. We had a movie theater; The Commador on B'way, but even that closed later on. In the mist of all this nothingless in my little ghost town; the writers got loose. There was a rediculous amount of graffiti in that place, every factory, every stormgate, every stoop, was bombed 100 times over. My curiousity ran wild, it captivated me. I though aliens from space must have come at night and done that shit, how else are they going to mark the sides for the 5-6 story rent control tenements? It amazed me. Then one day I was going to the doctor in Manhattan, getting on the L train off of Grahm Ave., as I got on that train i saw something that would change my life. As the train pulled away I saw kids bombing the walls of the station. I asked my mother about it she said that they were probably gang memebers, but I didn't care-- I knew that I had to be part of it. Fast forward to 1998, I was 8 and I had been introduced to the Notorious One and the Punisher by kids playing it on thier stoops. My moms an her moms; the women that raised me, didn't like it , and I didt care. I was so young I might have not have even seen the connection between graff and rap, but when i practiced drawing, hour after hour, thats what would be bumpin on my little tape deck. Boom, its 2003 and Im 12, I don't clearly remeber how, but I got my hands on Illmatic and Reasonable Doubt. Illmatic opened my third eye, I started seeing the world different, and my art showed it. I moved from simple tags to bubble letters, bubble letters to crudeattempts at wildstyle. Lookin at it now my old shit was ill wack, and my Dragon Ball Z characters were weak. Then I heard the 36 chambers, I might have gotten it from one of the older graff ppl who was training me as a shorty, I don't remeber. That was it. I loved kung fu, my grandfather and me always watched Bruce Lee movies and that was my shit. I started putting ninjas and samurais in my work. The WU said thier rhymes were like sword techniques, my makers became my firts, and cans of Rusto were my sowrds. My stylo became my special technique, and I wanted to be Bruce Lee. At 13 i realised it was my time, and it was on..

Yo I know people love talkin about themselves, I know my life story isnt that huge a thing, but this is how I fell in love with H.E.R. My story. I love hearin stories As much as I love writing them, so get open an spit your peice.

Peace

No comments: