Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Movement

Whats good my people.

First off I want to apologize to anyone who been following my shit I been runnin all over, and honestly I haven't felt very inspired lately, especially in hip hop.

That said here I go,

You remember like in 2006 when nas dropped Hip Hop is Dead and everyone bugged, and how that southern party shit was huge at that time, even more so then now. Well I was tight at hip hop back then, but was very anxious at the same time. I knew that shit would fade out, it was too commercial to last, and I knew an evolution was coming, I was fiending for that shit so bad. The next level of what it could be.

Well recently I have realized what the next step is, this Hipster shit. Now if you been following my blog you'll see Im not a fan. It not the content, which aint great but it better then some southern shit, or the fashion, which in my opinion is type suspect, that bothers me.

All jokes aside wear your skinny jeans I dont give a fuck. This is bigger then that. This is about in authenticity. These people drape themselves in shit they know nothing about in a vain attempt to be original. They are making a trend out of my culture, and I can't take that shit lying down any more. These are the same people who took the keffiyah a symbol of solidarity with the struggle of our Palestinian brothers and sisters and turned it into " that terrorist scarf".

They are faking the funk, and they acting like we supposed to be cool with that.

I really avoided this topic for a long time as I have a personal beef with these people, as I was gentrified out of Brooklyn in 07 because of them. I never brought it up before cause i always felt I was too biased. But I have been talking to more and more heads, not just bruthas from my hood or other hoods with that problem, but almost all sons i talk to have this resentment.

Alot of Hip Hop aint for heads no more, it just aint. Its for white kids in the village, and "interpretive dancers in LES".

Now there are other cats I respect that get open, and I feel my blog help give them shine, but as far as main stream shit goes this is the direction. Jay Z himself, the financial genius he is, is already doing callabo's wit these people.
Im tired of real cats feeling like we have to choose between ignorance and empty trends, and I knew then that im not the only one. This aint about the new school, or an age thing, the muthafuckas pushing this shit are in my age bracket, as far as focus groups are concerned I should be in love.

No love though.

But I am not going to just sit here and bitch about it. That never solved shit, i have been on a mission to organize something, I'm not sure what yet, and it most likely will not be mine, but rather something I add to, but regardless, i feel its our responsibilities if we real muthafuckas want to not just choke down the shit they feed us, to learn to cook ourselves. Hip hop was born with a "fuck what you say I know whats Ill" attitude, and I don't see why so many people now are content in disappointment.

I repeat: Real cats should not have to choose between laughable ignorance and empty trends, not in Hip Hop.

This might come off as pissed, and it should cause thats how I'm feeling in the heart. i don't know all your tastes and i could care less, I know there alot of brothers out there thinking the shit im sayin right now.

I don't know how many of them this is reaching but its time to act, our culture is not a trend, period, end of fucking story.

We gotta move on em.

That being said, this is not about hating change, I was feinding change, and this is not a call for some kind of time machine to 94, I feel like if a big ass chunk of us are tight at what is, we should create what could be, and bring it back to the essence, originality.

So if you a head feeling that shit thats all you, but don't act like I gotta accept shit you say.
If you a hipster reading this an u feel mad, good, genuine emotions do a person good.

Lastly, if you agree get at me this movement is ours not mine an it needs feet to walk.
If you hated everything I wrote then still get at me, cause fuck it I love a good debate.
This aint a plea for comments either I'm serious and ill go wit or wit out you.



Once again
Peace to all my brothas and sistas in the struggle. Its always love, we are all we got.

No comments: